With the wrap up of our 2020 Mapping Contest, we are excited to bring the winners’ new maps into Battle Grounds III! The developers are currently giving these maps a final pass before releasing them, but before that we’d like to take a moment to showcase the winners.Continue reading “Mapping Contest Wrap up!”
It’s been a while since our last update, however you all have not been forgotten about. While this update has not been as flashy as some of the weapon additions, there are map improvements galore and new assets that bring a bit of polish to the game. There’s also a nice fix that players have been demanding for quite a while.
Mapping Contest Update
With our mapping contest coming to a close, make sure you swing by the mapping competition site to check out the teaser images of the contestants’ maps. The maps are looking phenomenal and we are really looking forward to seeing what they have done. A final playtest will be held this Saturday, the 18th at 6PM GMT. Check the official discord for more details!
- Added choke points to flanking routes
- Added more cover to the American side of the map
- Small changes made inside of the fort
- Moved the British flag slightly further away from the British Spawn
- Brightened the map
- Winterisle has replaced plateau in the default map rotation
- Added a shortcut to the town center middle garden
- Fixed the small stairs in British spawn that players got stuck on
- Toned down the HDR and bloom
- Added an ammo box in the connector
- Raised the peep hole in the connector, market can no longer see if someone is jumping over the connector wall
- Added slight cover to the market stalls
- Fixed flag return times to 2 seconds for both teams
- Ammo boxes have been added to the sniper nests
- Fixed a hole in the map near American spawn
- The logs over the middle are now easier for players and bots to traverse
- Added more spawns for both teams
- Lowered a rock model near the right side of the main gate that was causing players to get stuck on it
Bombzone removed due to not seeing much play
As the deadline for the BG3 Mapping Contest nears, some fancy new assets have been added to give the upcoming maps a bit more polish. They include:
- New flat and pointed palisade walls
- A market box that fits on top of the stall
- An assembled static farm wagon
- Updated wood spikes and a second skin for them
Musket one-shot kill ranges have changed to be based on the weapons’ damages. These ranges are now visible in the classmenu. Accuracy values are also now reported in the class menu.
Last, but certainly not least, the red screen effect that occurs when players take damage has been reduced. The red screen had the tendency to disorient the player in dark or smoky environments; this tendency should now be reduced.
A new variable ‘mp_damage_kill_cap’ now exists such that, when turned on, damage values are capped to the victim’s health; for example a fatal headstab (on a healthy player) would always report 100 damage regardless of weapon used. This can be used in competitive environments in order to balance damage scores on the scoreboard.
“My bursting heart must find vent at my pen.”—Abigail Adams
Attention, soldiers! Much has happened inside the developer’s tent—first, we would like to welcome the programmer PhilmacFLy back into the development team. Phil was back in the team during BG2, and was in fact the one who first implemented having the website shown in the main menu. He’s back, and he’s already coded something for us: the player action menu, which you can read about below.
What big release would not be complete without a patch following it up a few days after?
- The physics model on the short pattern has been fixed.
- Charleville iron sights/smoke bug fixed.
- The iron sight on respawn bug has been fixed.
- Fixed a few graphical bugs.
- Moved supply cache slightly further away from American spawn.
- Added bit of cover to British cannons to facilitate fullcaps
- Improved playerclips on rocks around British cannons
- All flag cap radii were equalized to 160 units
- Map has been updated to reflect newest version, with totally redone bridges.
- Players should be getting better performance.
We are pleased to announce that members of our community have banded together to create a mapping competition. The goal of this contest is to bring quality mappers from other corners of the source community to try their hand at making new content for BG3. With a prizepool reaching upwards of 500 dollars, and donations streaming in, we are excited to see what people come up with. For those who don’t have the patience for mapping, do not despair! The prize pool is open for donations, and you will not be walking away empty handed; you’ll have great new maps to play at the end of the contest!
You can find more information here
The current prize pool and donation options can be found here
The update was planned for yesterday but… we must’ve forgotten somehow.
Jokes aside, the team has been hard at work polishing old content and hashing things out behind the scenes to make things work smoothly. Our joint effort includes weeding through old code to bring some much needed bug fixes and blazing through old maps to bring them back better than ever.
This update feature bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, and map improvements!
We at the Battle Grounds III development team have been hard at work bringing out the biggest update this game has ever seen! Cavalry will be a specialty unit unlocked after you have amassed a certain amount of flags or kills (amount varies per map). On linebattle maps, teams will start with a predetermined amount of cavalry, to be skillfully maneuvered in order to wipe retreating and disorganized foes. Not only will cavalry be added, but you can expect to see different classes including heavy cavalry, hussars and dragoons! Stay tuned for more updates!!!
“April Fool’s Day!” -George Washington
Battle Grounds III has received several updates this past week; we have created survey to let YOU help us decide our development direction; and we have made tweaks to current roadmap as us developers get a better understand of our own development pace. Continue reading to learn more!
We have not forgotten about you guys, and we are back with some juicy new content! We have new weapons, new mechanics, new maps and more!